[OS X TeX] Can't see ligatures with lucida fonts in pdf files

Chris Goedde cgg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 11:49:41 EDT 2008

On Apr 3, 2008, at 10:41 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

>> Le 27 mars 08 à 18:01, Chris Goedde a écrit :
>>
>>> I'm working on my home iMac, using the lucida fonts, which I don't
>>> do very often. The ligatures are missing from the pdf output, and
>>> (it seems) ONLY from the pdf files. This is true for files that I
>>> TeX here or for files that I TeXed yesterday on my work machine.
>>> If I open up a pdf on my iMac (in Preview or TeXShop), I don't see
>>> the ligatures. If I copy the exact same files to my laptop, I do
>>> see the ligatures in Preview and TeXShop. This is independent of
>>> where I created the pdf files---even if the file was TeXed on the
>>> iMac, the ligatures don't appear on the iMac but do on the laptop.
>>>
>>> I wouldn't have thought this was possible. Can someone explain
>>> what's happening and how to fix it or what I should look for? Both
>>> machines are running 10.5.2 and MacTeX.
>>
>> Remedy: use Font Book to disactivate the Microsoft Lucida fonts,
>> possibly logout/in (I don't remember whether it's necessary), and
>> reopen the PDF file prepared by TeX. Of course, by doing this
>> you'll lose the possibility of using these fonts with GUI
>> applications such as MS Office.
>
> BTW, Chris, since you seem to be online, could you clarify what the
> problem was and what solution you eventually used?

Sorry, I was out of town for a few days. The ultimate answer is
disappointing: rebooting fixed it.

I don't know what the problem was. I eventually looked at console.log
and saw that a bunch of apps (including TeXShop and the Finder) were
logging font errors. (Though I didn't see anything funny about the
Finder display.) So I rebooted and the problem disappeared.  If it
recurs I'll have to investigate further.

Chris