[OS X TeX] LaTeX2html Basics?

Thomas Rike tricycle222 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 27 14:51:54 EDT 2008

Dear Richard,

I am not an expert at any of this, but I did struggle to get Simple
TeX4ht to work for me. The ``question marks for equations'' tells me
that the png files are not being created. Each display and figure must
be converted to a png file to be used by the html file. I can't
remember how I finally got it to work when I switched from ppc to
intel, but I know that the location of ghostscript or possibly my
failure to install it played into it.

If you are using the command line then just dragging and dropping the
tex file after htlatex will not work because all of the temp files are
in your home directory. You might look and see if you have a lot of
new files there that you didn't know you had. Delete them.  In any
case cd to the directory where your .tex file (and eps files if you
have them) is located. If you are not getting something like this (My
file name was POD2007-08.tex) toward the end of the execution of
htlatex POD2007-08.tex    this could be your problem

Execute script `POD2007-08.lg'
----------------------------
t4ht.c (2007-01-05-03:17 kpathsea)
t4ht dirchar
   POD2007-08.tex
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex4ht/base/unix/tex4ht.env)
Entering POD2007-08.lg
System call: dvips -E -Ppdf -mode ibmvga -D 110 -f POD2007-08.idv -pp
1  > zzPOD2007-08.ps
This is dvips(k) 5.96 Copyright 2005 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com
)

Hope this helps. Tom Rike