[OS X TeX] problems with french accents

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Dec 1 13:24:24 EST 2008

On Dec 1, 2008, at 9:02 AM, Luis Vitorio Cargnini wrote:

> Le 08-11-30 à 09:46, Herbert Schulz a écrit :

>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> Do you have TeXShop->Preferences->Misc->pTeX support->utf export
>>> checked? If so, un-check it.
>>>
>>> Good Luck,
>>>
>>> Herb Schulz
>>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>>>

>> Howdy,
>>
>> There are lots of things that have to be clarified here.
>>
>> Are you seeing this in your source file after saving it? That is
>> what I've assumed with the advice I gave above.
>>
>> If this is in the output file we'll need a minimal, but complete
>> (i.e. compilable) example that displays this behavior. We need to
>> know what is in your preamble, etc., get understand this.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>>
> Thanks everyone for the answers The code that I seeing is in the
> generated pdf. I'm using pdflatex to generate the PDF associated
> with TexShop. The source code is been written using LaTeX coding, so
> everything known to anyone in the list.
> Yes I have this option checked.
>
> When I write the text in this form:
>
> ``Une \'emotion est cr\'eatrice d'un changement d'\'etat dans le
> monde du vivant - \'emouvoir = mettre en mouvement. Ce changement
> est v\'ecu physiquement (manifestation de la joie, de la peur, du d
> \'ego\^ut, de la col\`ere...). Les \'emotions prennent leur source
> dans la r\'egion du cerveau appel\'ee amygdale, laquelle joue un r
> \^ole cl\'e dans la r\'egulation de nos \'emotions et la m\'emoire
> \'emotionnelle. Le d\'eclenchement \'emotionnel est quant \`a lui li
> \'e \`a un changement dans la mani\`ere de vivre une relation ou
> d'\^etre en relation.''
>
> I works but when I try the same text but writing
>
> Une émotion est créatice d'un changement d'état  .... du
> dégoût .....manière
>
> the genereated pdf presents the UTF codes this I don't know why.

Howdy,

If I include

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

things go well. See the attached files.

I don't know why you have both

\usepackage{lmodern}

(which will use the latin modern fonts --- extensions of Computer
Modern) and then

\usepackage{mathptmx}

(which uses Times). I've commented out the former in the attached
document.