[OS X TeX] Lost in Mac space

George Ghio gghi at bordernet.com.au
Sat Dec 13 23:21:02 EST 2008

On 13/12/2008, at 11:39 PM, Victor Ivrii wrote:

> Let make things clear:
>

> 1) There are plenty of things which are part of TeXLive: with full
> install you have at this moment 1700+ packages/documentclasses and
> there is no point for you to do anything but to update them through
> tlmgr: type in terminal
>
> %sudo tlmgr --update-all
>
> How do you know that the package is a part of TL and installed on your
> computer (as part of texlive)? In terminal type
>
> %tlmgr show beamer
>
> It returns some info ...
> Installed:  Yes
> Revision:   11236
> Collection: collection-latexrecommended
>
> So, it is installed as part of TL2008 (if the answer is No but you
> want it
>
> % sudo tlmgr install beamer
>
> (I took beamer as an example)
>
> % tlmgr show animfig
> tlmgr: cannot find animfig
>
> It means that this package is not part of TL2008 (or may be does not
> exist at all - but this is an easy case). So, the question is what to
> do with such package?
>

> 2) OK, you want to install some package foo which is not part of TL.
> The best thing would be to get it in TDS form:
>
> ftp://ctan.org/pub/tex-archive/install/macros/latex/contrib
>
> and find packages in tds form here.
>
> Download it. Where you want to install it? You can have many TDS trees
> but let do it in a simplest way (assuming that you are the only user).
>
> Assume that you downloaded it to your desktop. Open your home folder.
> Open Library. Is there folder called texmf?
> If not, create it (it is NOT TeXShop folder).
> If yes, drag foo.tds.zip there (into texmf). Unzip it.
>

> You are done.
>
> 3) If package is not in tds form, I would not recommend installing it
> for absolute newbies and UNIX virgins
>
> HTH
>
> Victor

Hi Victor

Thank you for your detailed response. All the advice seems to come
back to having a file "texmf"

I have - MacHD/library/tex/root/texmf

and - georgeghio/library/texshop - No texmf.

My understanding is that "home" is "georgeghio". But if I put a texmf
file in - georgeghio/library - tex does not find it or files in it.

Does this mean that the package needs to be downloaded then opened in
texmf in my home library to be recognized by tex.

What about packages that are not TDS.

The ultimate goal is a document where text wraps around graphics.
Perhaps I am just too blind to see the bleeding obvious/

George L Ghio