[OS X TeX] Re: updmap command not found

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Jun 17 08:04:28 EDT 2008

Le 17 juin 08 à 13:24, Robert Blackstone a écrit :

> Just for information, I had copied my TeX-installation from a PPC
> PowerBook under Tiger to an Intel iMac under Leopard, using Apple's
> Migration Assistent. This procedure obviously creates some problems.

Upon installation, MacTeX tests for processor type (/usr/bin/uname -p)
and creates the symbolic link /usr/texbin to the directory where the
binaries for the appropriate processor reside, either /usr/local/
texlive/2007/bin/i386-darwin or /usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/powerpc-
darwin. (Actually there's an intermediate step involving /Library/TeX/
Distributions/.DefaultTeX/Contents/Programs/i386 and /Library/TeX/
Distributions/.DefaultTeX/Contents/Programs/powerpc, but that's
irrelevant here.)

Then the path settings are set such that the TeX binaries are invoked
as /usr/texbin/tex etc. Accordingly, if you're using migration
assistant from PPC to Intel you'll end up with /usr/texbin either non-
existing (if Migration Assistant doesn't recreate the symlink) or
pointing to the binaries for the wrong processor.

Bruno Voisin