[OS X TeX] amsmath +/- lingmacros

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Sun May 18 10:02:05 EDT 2008

At 12:06 AM +0200 5/18/08, Roussanka Loukanova wrote:
>Hi again,
>
>Please, accept my apologies for this another yet off-list topic question..
>
>I have trouble using amsmath and lingmacros together because
>lingmacros sets its own counter for enumerated displays.
>
>I am typesetting a paper, in which I have math formulas and examples
>of English sentences and need to have all them consecutively
>enumerated.
>
>English sentences get nicely enumerated and left aligned, as is
>customary in linguistics, with lingmacros.sty. But lingmacros.sty
>uses a separate counter from that of amsmath.

I would recommend using linguex.sty instead of lingmacros.

To make the counters the same, add the following to your preamble
(using linguex).

\makeatletter
\let\c at ExNo=\c at equation
\makeatother

Then you can intersperse equations and example sentences.

If you want to continue to use lingmacros, you can make the
lingmacros counter use the equation counter in the same way:

\makeatletter
\let\c at enums=\c at equation
\makeatother

However, because lingmacros uses a regular list, it indents the
number, and you'd need to mess around
to get the numbers to line up (so that your example numbers are
indented the same distance as your equation numbers.)

In principle you could do this with:

\setlength{\leftmargini}{18pt}

But this will have the effect of making all lists have this indent,
which may not be what you want, if you have other
itemize/enumerate/description lists.

This is why using linguex would probably be easier.

Alan

--
Alan Munn
amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics
and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages   Fax.  +1-517-432-2736
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824       Tel.  +1-517-355-7491