[OS X TeX] question regarding spacing after a period

Ayesha Rumjahn kireidasha at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 20:03:48 EDT 2009

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can help me. I am writing an English paper
and using LaTeX, I thought that I would automatically get
two spaces (or a larger space) after each period. However, I am only
getting one and am confused as to why. I've tried adding
\nonfrenchspacing,
but its not working well. I used texshop downloaded from mactex. Any
help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

here is a copy of my code:
\documentclass[12pt,letterpaper]{article}

\usepackage{mla}
\usepackage[numbers]{natbib}
\usepackage{ifpdf}
\usepackage{setspace}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[english]{babel}

\singlespacing

\begin{document}
\nonfrenchspacing
\begin{mla}{Ayesha}{Rumjahn}{Sheetal Lodhia}{Engl 226}{\today}{Title
of your cool paper}

\doublespacing

\ \\

In the Renaissance England, women were to be obedient, chaste and
silent. There was a common notion that women were to only speak to
their own husbands, family members, and other women. Speaking to other
men or simply speaking a lot would be a sign of impurity. Both
Isabella and Desdemona speak to other men in Measure for Measure and
Othello. Although the motive for both is to save, Isabella is
ultimately rewarded for her speeches, whereas Desdemona is chided
twice, used as a tool for revenge, and finally killed. In Measure for
Measure Isabella is held in very high regard, as she is a nun-to-be
and said to be virtuous. On the other hand, we are first introduced to
Desdemona through her transgression of leaving and betraying her
father for Othello; soon after, she is also accused of infidelity. We
as audiences are led by Shakespeare and other characters to think that
Isabella is a virtuous and chaste woman, and that Desdemona is an
unfortunate wife that sadly talked too much. Hardly do we realize that
by close observation of Isabella and Desdemona’s speeches, we can
actually see that Desdemona is truly chaste, whereas Isabella is
unchaste unconsciously. As a result, we can see that the reputation of
the women, the outer chastity, matters more than the inner virtue, or
actual chastity of the women; in other words, it does not matter
whether or not a women is chaste at heart as long as she is known and
appears to be chaste.

\end{mla}

\bibliographystyle{plainnat}
\bibliography{Engl226}