[OS X TeX] RE: New Editor.

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sun May 3 11:27:20 EDT 2009

On May 3, 2009, at 11:07 AM, Jakob Dam Jensen wrote:

> I don't mind criticism at all.
>
> Encodings will be added and crashers will be fixed. The reason for
> doing a new editor - because I want to try. That's all. Maybe it
> will fail totally but now I'm trying. That said. If errors aren't
> reported I have no chance in hell of fixing them =)
>
> More engines will be supported. And a broader selection of
> encodings as well. Those are top priorities I will look at.
>
> I'm not discouraged at all. I will work harder =) I know it's not
> as awesome as some of the alternatives right now. But I also know
> that it will be.
>
> I appreciate the feedback - also the negative. It will all be taken
> into account and help me make a better product.

I teach mathematics and the volume of my email correspondence with my
students is slowly increasing. A huge stumbling block of course is
that it is near impossible to write mathematics in an email. What the
students often do is to scan a handwritten paper and attach it.

It seems to me that a "featureless" LaTeX application that would
allow writing mathematics up to, say, calculus level out of the box
and nothing else, no bibliography, no table of contents, no index,
etc would find a "market" there. The pdf in the same window as the
source is what made me think of it. Particularly if using something
like Gerhardt's Flashmode.

Maybe you could put out for free your initial, "featureless" version
to that effect and offer for sale the subsequent feature loaded
versions as TeXWriter Plus. Nowadays it is in fact an often-used
marketing approach.

Regards
--schremmer