Finding the Wiki (was: Re: [OS X TeX] Tex to rtf converter)

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Thu Aug 5 12:38:42 EDT 2010

On Aug 5, 2010, at 9:21 AM, Gerrit Glabbart wrote:

> Am 05.08.2010 um 15:20 schrieb Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD:
>
>> It would save everybody on this list time if we altered behavior so that the wiki was a standard first resource and updated that resource as it is found inadequate (which it inevitably is and will be).
>
> I have to confess I tend to forget the wiki exists. Obvious solutions escape me, I'm just weird that way.

Then a helpful response from people on this list should be one of:

STFW (search the fine web/wiki)
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mac+os+x+tex (or some variant)
http://mattgemmell.com/2008/12/08/what-have-you-tried

There are a number of help vampires [1] here asking questions out of idle curiosity or without doing any homework.  If a student wants the answer to d/dx(x^2), is it more helpful to say "2x" or "look up the power rule?"

If links to the wiki/FAQ/documentation are posted, everyone will learn that there are more resources than just this list.

> -- The wiki is not even in the top three! How am I ever supposed to find /that/?

"Blame-the-list-footer" comes up periodically here, but changing it has not been demonstrated to help (other than to silence people who ask for yet another link in it).

[1] http://lmgtfy.com/?q=help+vampire