[OS X TeX] copy and paste

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Sun Jul 25 16:33:39 EDT 2010

Hello Cleo,

On 26/07/2010, at 5:11 AM, Cleo <claunirp at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It is not really a tex subject, but occurs when I´m editing on texShop.

Sure, it is a TeX question...

> If I select and copy a paragraph from a pdf file and then paste into texShop,
> the words with ff are broken and the letters ff are not copied.
>
> Example: the word "different" becomes "di
erent".

> Have someone of you had such a problem?

  ... Since you must be using a font which has the ff ligature in a non-standard position, and without a CMAP resource. This is the case with Computer Modern, as you would get naturally with OT1 encoding. Other, later, TeX fonts fix one or other of these deficiencies.
Also there are packages {cmap} and {mmap} which fix this and other subtle problems. And the latest versions of pdfTeX can automatically generate CMAP resources; though not fully reliably.

To advise you of the best fix, we need to see the complete preamble of your LaTeX documents. That way we can choose the best minimal modification to the way you currently work.

Hope this helps.

           Ross