[OS X TeX] Configuring LaTeX produced PDF's for a Kindle

David Derbes loki at uchicago.edu
Mon Jan 3 23:53:16 EST 2011

On Jan 3, 2011, at 10:42 PM, Adam M. Goldstein wrote:

> Cool thank you gift!
>
> So, is the idea that you make a giant page, which is then shrunk down to a "mini" kindle size which takes up the whole screen? Or is it that you want to divide up the page into smaller sections? I think it's the latter...

Yep, the latter.

> So then I guess the question is, what is the size you want the page to be?

A very sensible question. According to the information on the web, the window size on the newest Kindle 3 is 3.6 x 4.8 inches. I think the way to go is landscape, and try to map the usual width of a page (which might be, with the narrow margins I use, 7.2 inches at a maximum; YMMV); that is, a reduction of 4.8 : 7.2  = 2/3. If I had originally used 12 pt type, I can live with 8 pt, maybe. Truthfully, I think the current size of a Kindle is just a little too small for technical books, which is a pity.

So I guess I'd try to use a page size of 4.8 x 3.6. But I'm probably not seeing something obvious.

Thanks very much, Adam.

David Derbes
U of Chicago Laboratory Schools