[OS X TeX] hebrew in LaTeX

Art Werschulz agw at comcast.net
Fri Jun 22 13:44:03 EDT 2012

Hi all.

For a long time, I've been using Joel M. Hoffman's system for Hebrew in TeX and LaTeX.  This system gives you a file hletter1.tex that sets things up, as well as MetaFont sources for various fonts, such as hclassic.

The problem: hclassic is a part of ArabTeX.  This seems to become the default; there's a line
	hclassic TeX-hclassic <hclassic-4.pfb
in psfonts.map.  Said font does not play nicely with hletter1.tex; I get a lot of "undefined character" error msgs.

So I figured that I should get with the program, and use the new version.

=====

I tried using the hebrew option to babel:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[hebrew]{babel}

\begin{document}
{\sethebrew
^slwm}
hello
\end{document}

I got the following:

ERROR: I can't find file `jerus10'.

--- TeX said ---
<*> ...=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input jerus10

Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.
<*> ...=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input jerus10

Transcript written on mfput.log.
grep: jerus10.log: No such file or directory
mktextfm: `mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input jerus10' failed to make jerus10.tfm.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.

! Font LHE/cmr/m/n/10=jerus10 at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not found.
<to be read again>
                   relax
l.2 \select at language{hebrew}

I used the CTAN search page, trying to find said font (jerus10, jerus10.pfb, jerus10.tfm, jersu10.mf); I didn't find anything.

Suggestions?

=====

I also tried using the Hebrew mode of ArabTeX (replacing \usepackage[hebrew]{babel} with \usepackage{hebtex}.  This time, I got

ERROR: LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}.

--- TeX said ---

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.47 \allowarab \äâéÖ
                     		\allowarab \õÒÔ¨

Apparently, hebtex.sty is trying to typeset some characters.  That's a no-no, since style files are supposed to appear before \begin{document}, but \begin{document} must appear before any typestting takes place.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

--
Art Werschulz (8-{)}   "Metaphors be with you."  -- bumper sticker
GCS/M (GAT): d? -p+ c++ l u+(-) e--- m* s n+ h f g+ w+ t++ r- y?