[OS X TeX] Error: I can't write on file '(name)'

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 09:18:31 EST 2012

On Mar 10, 2012, at 5:48 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> You are showing me the contents of those two folders.

Yes

> Are you telling me the path to the blank pdf as shown when you Cmd-
> Click the blank PDF's Window Title?

Yes

> Also, do you clean out all the auxiliary files before compiling?

I have never done that---and never got blank pdf---but see below.

> Does it take multiple (pdf)latex runs to resolve cross references,
> etc., for the files that give you a blank pdf?

Only two because of the table of content but I usually do not bother
because I typeset every few minutes to admire my work.

> I'm really interested in the problem and would like to isolate the
> circumstances under which it occurs.

So am I ;-))

> I just don't believe it's a random event.

Neither do I. But another thing is strange: when I first opened the
"control files" the comments were all black. Eventually, as I kept
opening other control files, the later eventually opened normally that
is with comments in red and now they all do.

If you look at the two pdf I sent earlier, you will see that that they
really are one and the same:

	(1)	LaTeX saves them to the control folder exactly where they are
supposed to go---and I checked that by trashing them before
typesetting to see them reappear there, blank.

	(2) When I open with Preview the pdf that just appeared in the
control folder, it is normal, that is with the expected text.

	(3) Both the blank view and the normal view (with Preview) of the pdf
are 8 pages as the console says it should be and as you can check on
the attachments I sent before.

But, one by one they wind up showing normal.

Now there is only one file, 2.tex, left that gives a blank view of the
pdf. I typed in the contents file, got rid of all auxiliary files
including 2pdf, still blank, Opened with Preview, normal. Typeset,
still blank but saying it has 11 pages even though I can only see the
one blank and the scrollbar is blank too. But the vertical arrows on
the upper left do change the number of the page out of 11.

Best regards
--schremmer