[OS X TeX] Sierra 10.12.4

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Mon Apr 3 09:18:38 EDT 2017

Hi Herb,

> On 3 Apr 2017, at 14:25, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>

> Howdy,
>
> As far as the copy/paste problem is concerned using the default OT1 font encoding (this is the default) will give rise to that problem since é is a combined character there. Add the line \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} to your preamble to use the  CMSuper fonts or ALSO add the line \usepackage{lmodern} to use the Latin Modern fonts.

I am not an expert on encoding, but I think the problem is more fundamental. For one, I use LuaLaTeX where fontenc et al. do not apply. On the other hand, I see this basically with every PDF, not matter where and how they were produced. This is definitely a problem of PDFKit. If I copy a german text from a PDF ä, ö and ü are copied incorrectly. They are displayed correctly, but they seem to be combined characters, as you say, but this is not LaTeX related (a typical scenario: I copy text from a PDF to TeXShop. An umlaut like „ä“ looks correct in the source, but when I typeset it, it is displayed as „a“ since it obviously wasn’t copied as a proper „ä“). Fl and fi ligatures aren’t copied at all, they just result in empty space. Acrobat on the other hand, handles both elements flawlessly.

Simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 6039

http://www.simifilm.ch
http://www.utopia2016.ch

„Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel.“ Homer Simpson