[OS X TeX] New distribution

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri May 11 09:50:12 EDT 2018

> On May 10, 2018, at 11:21 PM, Richard Koch <koch at uoregon.edu> wrote:
>
> Herbert Schulz,
>
> It is interesting to read about the amazing voodoo you concocted to get icons back. Every so often I try to make sense of Apple's icon design, but without much success.

Voodoo it is!

> I wonder if you'd mind writing Pierre Chatelier about your discovery and asking him if he would mind removing the troublesome UTI for LaTeXiT Helper. Pierre is keeping LaTeXiT up to date, which is great for all of us, but I have the impression that he no longer uses TeX for his own work, so he may not see this mail chain. I'm very much against modifying applications in MacTeX behind the author's back.

I've just done that. I believe he's been contacted before but I'm not sure.

> But perhaps we can make things a little smoother for users while continuing to do the right thing with author's works.
>
> (Similarly, as you know, TUG doesn't directly modify style and class files, but instead insists that authors make the modifications and submit them to CTAN. TUG then gets the new versions from CTAN.)
>
> Dick Koch

This is only one thing that can cause the problem. Maybe I'm being too hard on Apple about this but I really don't see any reason not to tie the displayed icon to an app that is defined to be the primary ``owner'' of a type pf file (i.e., the app opened when the file is double-clicked). I can understand if the primary application hasn't been defined yet but certainly not using the wrong icon even though it is opened with the correct application.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)