[Textures] Textures 2.2.0b17

Paolo Matteucci p.n.matteucci at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 05:18:31 EDT 2011

:-) [Last paragraph is for you, Bruno!]

What's new in Textures 2.2.0b17?

Small changes for reliability and stability. From 2.2.0b14 through
2.2.0b17, we have made a number of bug fixes. Although there is
nothing urgent, we recommend all users update to 2.2.0b17.

Font metrics are extended and improved; certain elements are now
editable. (The remainder of this note is technical information for
those who may wish to add new fonts to Textures.)

Native Textures has for some time supported traditional TeX TFM binary
metric files, which makes it easy to add metrics from any other TeX
system, e.g., placing an alias in Textures' Metrics folder that points
to/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/tfm will make those metrics
available to Textures. However, this has been of limited utility,
because each TFM metric lacks two items: the name of the actual font
to be used for display and printing, and the font encoding that
determines where glyphs (characters) appear in the TeX character
codes.

Textures now supports direct entry/editing of the actual font name (PS
fontname) and encoding in the TeX Metrics window, with the data being
saved within the TFM file (or resource) itself, in a manner that will
not affect other TeX systems using the same metric files. (Changes are
saved en masse and only when Textures quits, and may not be effective
until Textures is restarted.) Available encodings are AdobeStandard,
MacintoshStandard, TeXBase1, and TeXnANSI; there are mechanisms for
arbitrary encodings, and the default (null) uses the default Macintosh
encoding of the font.

Native Textures supports all OS X fonts, including "old Macintosh
PostScript" (LWFN Type 1), TrueType, and OpenType; OS X does not
support "naked" PostScript fonts (PFA and PFB), but there are free
public tools to convert these to the now-standard OpenType/CFF fonts.

We wish to express our gratitude (and astonishment) to Professor Bruno
Voisin for his yeoman's work of cataloging and converting fonts and
metrics to make useful families of fonts available to many TeX users.
He has been immensely supportive of our work over the years, and we
are most grateful.